Become a Mentor
Become a Mentor
The SOS Community Mentoring Program…
Invites women from the community to help create an ongoing supportive community for and nurture one-on-one relationships with the women of SOS.
Will you accept the invitation?
If you have ever managed a household, parented a child, figured out how to make ends meet, held a job, or gone to school, you have all the expertise you need to be a volunteer community mentor.
Mentors are simply those who wish to assist in another woman’s growth. It is a work of the heart.
Community mentors become part of the SOS team. We provide training in mentoring and issues which impact SOS women.
5 Ways to Participate in the Community Mentoring Program
- Be a Mentor to an SOS woman.
- Become part of the community of women at monthly reunions.
- Present a Life Skills Topic or Fun Activity at one of our monthly reunions. Past topics and activities have included Stress Relief, Job Search, Parenting, Arts and Crafts, and games.
- Provide a simple meal for one of our monthly reunions
- Be part of the on-site childcare team during our monthly reunions
We ask mentors to commit to six months with our program. Mentor activities include:
- One-on-One Match: Each mentor is matched with a current SOS woman. The pair strives for 3-4 contacts per month – two in person and others by phone, mail, or email.
- Reunion Nights: The first Thursday night of each month, mentors, SOS women, and graduates gather to share a meal, a speaker or activity, and small group sharing.
For more information about joining our Community Mentoring team, please contact us at:
SOS Community Mentoring team- Abbie Kashmer or Kathy Peterson
907 Oakland Avenue
PO Box 2346
Elkhart, IN 46516
Phone: (574) 523-1551
Fax: (574) 522-0784